Thursday, September 23, 2021

Cathedral Star Quilt Block - September's Old School Block of the Month

On the 12th of each month, the tutorial for the Old School Block of the Month is released.     

Talk about a block that brings together all the "old school" techniques for curved piecing. 

The Cathedral Star Quilt Block tutorial by Yvonne Fuchs of Quilting Jetgirl is available now using this link. 

If you are taking a look at this block and thinking "no way, no curved piecing for me!", I ask you to think again.  Yvonne's instructions are exquisite.   She guides you step-by-step, literally, through not just one but two different ways to make the same block.   

It's been more than a hot minute since I've curved pieced.  I LOVE the look, but mine never quite turn out right and then I'm disappointed in myself and I'm feeling rushed and I don't want to rip and well, then down that ugly rabbit hole of self-doubt I go....  So if you have been down that rabbit hole when curved piecing in the past, I ask you to just give it a try following Yvonne's instructions. 

Here is my finished block.  I did option number 2 of the instructions - the 5 seam method so I could fussy cut my center fabric.  


And I couldn't help but share an in-progress photo too.  I'm loving the colors! 


If you are finding this blog post for the first time and want to join the Old School Block of the Month, we would love to have you!   

If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment