Monday, April 26, 2021

Pinwheel Block Challenge - REVEAL - Pinwheel Posies Wall Hanging

I'm super excited about the Pinwheel Block Challenge Reveal!  This project has taken several twists and turns and I can't be more pleased about how it turned out.

Without any further delay, please meet the Pinwheel Posies Wall Hanging!  I've been putting on the finishing touches and taking photos of Pinwheel Posies today and even have the pattern available so you can make your own version. 


All the Spring flowers are influencing my designs right now.  Last week I almost spilled the beans and shared it with you but I kept quiet.  To catch the previous Pinwheel Block Challenge posts, follow this link and you can see how I re-imagined the basic pinwheel block. 

I'm adding more photos and details about how I made Pinwheel Posies at the bottom of this post, so be sure to keep scrolling. 

I can't wait to see all the desinger's reveals today. Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge.

Here is the list of Instagram handles of the participating designers for this challenge.  

@tamarinis

@seamslikeadreamquilts

@blueberry_backroads

@masterpiecequilting

@southwind_quilts 

@katiemaequilts

@dragonflysquiltingdesignstudio

@prettypiney

@debbiewendtquilting

@appliques.quilts.and.more

@sue_duckcreekquilting

@patchworkbreeze

@swanamity

@faithandfabric


If you are enjoying the block challenges as much as I am, stayed tuned for May when we re-imagine a Log Cabin block! 

If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me.




I used Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids to make the wall hanging. The flower colors match perfectly with the fabrics. My daffodils have wilted but the "ruffle" around the pinwheel circles was inspired by the outer petals of the daffodils.


To add a lot of dimension, I used two layers of batting. A thin cotton on the bottom so it hangs flat and a layer of wool on top. This gives a lot of stitch definition and makes the posies pop out from the quilt.



I used a bright variated thread with a short color repeat to machine stitch the applique shapes.  I used a machine applique / buttonhole stitch for the pinwheel circles.  I tried it on the petals but thought it was a bit too much.  So I ripped it out and switched to a reduced straight stitch. 


PDF Digital Download patterns for Pinwheel Posies are available in my Etsy shop.  (Print patterns will be coming soon!)  Here is a direct link to the PDF pattern. 


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment