Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Old School Block of the Month - English Paper Pieced Hexagon Block

On the 12th of each month, the tutorial for the Old School Block of the Month is released.  This month is Hexagons using English Paper Piecing.  I'm so excited to work on this block, it's been a while since I did any English Paper Piecing.  

The designer for this month is my friend Missie Carpenter of Traditional Primitives. Missie is the guru of handwork, wool applique, punchneedle, English Paper Piecing and all those things I very rarely do - so it's great fun to be in her world this month and to learn from her expertise in this area.  Her color palette and mine are on opposite spectrums so I'm excited to follow her tutorial and make her design in my colorway.  That's the fun of quilting - learning new things but adding your own personality along the way. 

Here is the link to Missie's Hexagon Block tutorial for this month. 

If you are finding this blog post for the first time and want to join the Old School Block of the Month, we would love to have you!  Here is a link to Kim Lapacek's January block and here is the link to my February block tutorial.  You can find the Facebook group here

Normally I make the block before I post about it but that didn't happen this month. And it's okay - life happens.  

This morning I started gathering my supplies.  I'm working from my stash but I am intriqued by the fussy cut option for the center of the block.  I have never done that before!  I'm learning something new and that is the whole point of this Block of the Month, to learn new techniques. 



While my plan was to use stash fabrics for this BOM, I think I will need to purchase a fussy cuttable fabric in my chosen pink-blue-white colorway.  Which is fine because I have been wanting to re-do my March block so I could use the same fabric in both blocks!  Or else I need to dig through my stash a little harder!  If you don't hear from me for a few days, I maybe lost in my stash :) 

Here are my first 3 blocks.  




If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment