Monday, November 15, 2021

Birds in the Air Block Re-Imagined Challenge - Sneak Peek #2

This week I'm sharing Sneak Peek #2 of the Birds in the Air Block Re-Imagined Challenge.  




I started playing with the traditional Birds in the Air block in my design software and was experimenting with ways to re-image in the block. In my mind, there are two parts to the block - the larger half-square triangle (HST) that is typcially a solid piece of fabric and then smaller HST units pieced together on the opposite side.  

Last week I re-imaginging what all could be done with that larger triangle.  Does it have to stay a larger piece?  Can it be fussy-cut?  Can it be pieced like a traditional block?  Could it be paper-pieced into a more detailed design?  Oh the possibilities!  Here is link to the blog post in case you missed it. 

This week I'm working on the smaller pieced HST units.  They seem a bit more challenging to re-imagine.  Here just a few of the possibilities that I came up with.  Since I'm still working in the design software, I haven't started piecing anything yet but did use the general colorway from the fabric pull I posted earlier in the month (click here in case you missed it).  

Well, it is a block re-imagined challenge - so everything is fair game - and this is all part of the design process.  Normally this is a part of the process that most people don't see, so it is fun to be able to share it with you.  

Each Monday in November, the participating designers are sharing about the challenge on their Instagram feeds.  Some of us are adding other social media too.   If you don't already follow me on Instagram, I'm @masterpiecequilting 

Here is the list of Instagram handles of the participating designers.  Each of us are sharing our sneak peeks on Monday November 15th.  


@tamarinis

@katecollerandesigns

@southwind_quilts

@masterpiecequilting 

@megschoicepatterns

@sue_duckcreekquilting

@crafttowardsjoy


An easy way to find the posts is using the following hashtags.  Just type them into the search box and the posts will show up. 


Hashtags:

#birdsintheairblockchallenge

#birdsintheairquiltblock

#morethanjustablockchallenge

#designerblockchallenge

#Novemberblockchallenge

#Novembdesignerblockchallenge

#quilt

#quilts

#quiltdesigner

#quiltblock

#quiltblocks



I can't wait to see what everyone's sneak peeks and I hope that you will take a look too! Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge.


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment