Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Old School Block of the Month - Economy Pocket Block

On the 12th of each month, the tutorial for the Old School Block of the Month is released.  This month is the Economy Pocket Block.  

I'm gonna be totally honest with you, I had not heard of this block pattern being called the Economy block ... I've always known it as the square-in-square block. Who knew?  Apparently, everybody but me!

The addition of the Pocket is perfect for tucking an item in place.  Great for kids quilts and I'm thinking about using this technique on some upcoming memory quilts that I'm making. 


The designer for this month is Kerry Goulder of KidGiddy.com

Here is the link to Kerry's Block tutorial for this month. 

In the tutorial she has instructions for both a 6" and 12" finished block.  Make 4 of the 6" blocks and join them together to make a 12" block!  Genius! 

If you are finding this blog post for the first time and want to join the Old School Block of the Month, we would love to have you!  Here is a link to Kim Lapacek's January block and here is the link to my February block tutorial.  You can find the Facebook group here

I deviated from my usual colorway - pink, blue and white.  I'm still searching for a fabric that is fussy-cuttable in pink, blue and white.  And yes, I get a bit matchy-matchy, so I'll redo this block to match the March and April blocks that both have fussy cut motifs. 

While searching thru my stash, I did find this cute snail that was perfect for this block.  I know it's a remnant from a Tula Pink fat quarter.  So I pulled the remaining colors to coordinate with the snail print. 



Here's the adorable little snail.  Isn't he cute? 


This was a fun block to make and I'm sure you will enjoy making it too.  Incorporating the folded fabric is something that I haven't done before and after all, that's what this block of the month program is all about - learning new things. 



If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment