Monday, June 28, 2021

Churn Dash Block Challenge - The Reveal

This may be the most anticipated reveal I've done for a while!  Partly because I was making this quilt without a pattern - in other words, I was making it up as I went - LITERALLY :)  And no, I didn't know how it was going to fit together until I was actually sewing it! 

Here is the finished top of my Churn Dash quilt! 


I've been saying that I was going Modern with this month's design and mega modern it is!  

While I describe myself as a modern traditional quilter every once in a while (about once a year) I go mega modern with a quilt design.  It's fun to push myself to create and design a quilt totally outside the box. 

At this time I'm not planning to write a pattern for this quilt.  There are a lot of y-seams as I was assembling it in sections.   Here is the computer generated sketch that I was working from where I had placed different elements of the quilt - remember those pieces and parts from the last 2 weeks.  While I was assembling the quilt, I had to figure out the math to connect all the sections together.  


And if you have been looking closely at the photo, you have already noticed that the edges aren't even.  It's okay.  I will actually quilt the quilt with the edges uneven and then square everything up after the quilting is done.  

During the quilting process, parts of the quilt may pull in more than other areas due to the density of the quilting - so this gives me some wiggle room on the edges.  

For the quilting - I don't have an exact plan yet.  I kinda have a general feel for what I want the finished quilt to look like.  I plan to use this as a competition quilt, so it will be full custom quilting.  No worries - I'll post in-progress photos as I'm quilting.  

While the majority of the time, my projects are very planned, this one wasn't and that's perfectly okay.  There is a thrill, a challenge to working by the seat-of-one's-pants!  

If you are finding this blog post for the first time and haven't heard of the Churn Dash Re-Imagined Challenge before, last week's blog post has all the details and will get you up to speed. 

I can't wait to see everyone's sneak peeks today. Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge. 

@tamarinis

@katecollerandesigns

@quilterstreasurechest

@masterpiecequilting      

@ttquilts

@patchworkbreeze

@southwind_quilts

@dragonflysquiltingdesignstudio

@discoflamingo

@swanamity

@cherryblossomsstudio



If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment