Monday, March 28, 2022

Rocky Road to California - The REVEAL - Block ReMix Challenge

This week I'm revealing my finished quilt for the Rocky Road to California Block REMIX Challenge.  This was a fun one!  I wasn't even sure how the finished quilt would turn out and was making changes right up until the end. 

In case you missed it, last week's blog post will give you more details about the Block REMIX Challenge. 



Since I'm a lover of chains in quilts, I really wanted the chain to be the focal point of the quilt.  In order to achieve that, I used two different blocks.  The one I shared last week in Sneak Peek #2 and a second block that I designed specifically to fill in between the primary blocks. 

 


The elements between the two blocks are identical but I "mixed" or should that be "re-mixed"? :)  the placement of the units and also changed up the color placement a bit.    In the final quilt I reworked which fabrics I used, so that it would pop a bit more which is why the block on the right appears brighter than the one I created last week, which is on the left.  

Overall the framed center chain becomes the focal point while the non-framed chain is secondary.  A question I keep asking myself is .... is it too busy?  For me, it is right on the border of being too busy, too many elements and not one clear focal point.  

Something else I always keep in mind while designing is "how difficult will this quilt be for someone to make?"  The more seams on a block, the more seams in a quilt, especially diagonal seams, increases the possibility for inaccurate piecing.  If you struggle with blocks not being the right size after piecing, check out my free tip sheet for confident piecing.

Confident Boosting Piecing Tips 

Each Monday, the participating designers are sharing about the challenge on their Instagram feeds.  Some of us are adding other social media too.   If you don't already follow me on Instagram, I'm @masterpiecequilting 

Here is the list of Instagram handles of the participating designers.  Each of us are sharing our fabric pull and / or color scheme this week. 

@tamarinis

@katecollerandesigns

@dragonflysquiltingdesignstudio

@swanamity

@megschoicepatterns

@debbiewendtquilting

@southwind_quilts

@masterpiecequilting 

@modernrootsstitchery

@ashlim.virginadelesmith

@shout4joyquilter

@deb.quiltblox

@sue_duckcreekquilting

An easy way to find the posts is using the following hashtags.  Just type them into the search box and the posts will show up. 


Hashtags:

#RockyRoadtoCaliforniablockchallenge

#RockyRoadtoCaliforniaquiltblock

#morethanjustablockchallenge

#designerblockchallenge

#Marchblockchallenge

#Marchdesignerblockchallenge

#quilt

#quilts

#quiltdesigner

#quiltblock

#quiltblocks


I can't wait to see what everyone is selecting for their fabrics and I hope that you will take a look too! Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge.


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment