Wednesday, August 1, 2018

2018 Monthly Color Challenge - August = Yellow Orange


For August's 2018 Monthly Color Challenge we are celebrating Yellow-Orange. 

While I'm not much of an orange person, I was surprised how much of it I had in my stash. I don't remember buying it, but I sure have quite a bit of it!  And, before you say anything, I will be the first to admit some of my yellow-oranges are a bit more orange-red but I needed to have the contrast to get the block to look right. 



If you are finding this blog post for the first time and aren't sure what we are talking about .... To get all the scoop, be sure to check out Jen's post.


I used Island Batik fabrics for my block.  The color saturation of the batiks is perfect for a block like this where we need lights, mediums and darks of the same color. I'm using Jen's pattern (available on her blog - see link below) and made both the 12" and 6" block this month.  


Don't you love the subtle texture of Island Batik fabrics? 

With 8 blocks complete now, I'm still thinking about how I want to do the final layout …. (yep, I'm a thinker!)  In last month's post, I was playing around with on-point and horizontal layouts.  Which one do you like best?  Maybe I will do one for my 12" blocks and the other for my 6" blocks. 

I can't wait to see what your block looks like.  On Jen's blog you have an opportunity to share your yellow-orange block or anything made with yellow-orange from August 21 to 30 to be eligible for prizes.  


And speaking of prizes, the sponsor for this month is the Fat Quarter Shop who are giving away a $25 gift certificate.  What could be more perfect than that? 


Also be sure to visit the other bloggers who are participating this month.  It's so much fun to see what fabrics everyone has selected and how different the same block looks with different fabric choices!




Jen Shaffer of Patterns By Jen
Jen Strauser of Dizzy Quilter
Sherry Shish of Powered By Quilting
Jen Rosin of A Dream and A Stitch
Dione Gardner-Stephen of Clever Chameleon Quilting
Joanne Harris of
quiltsbyJoanne




And if you are playing along with us, make sure to use #2018monthlycolorchallenge on social media! And speaking of social media, be sure to follow me on IG: @Masterpiecequilting and Masterpiece Quilting on FB for sneak peeks and updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment