Monday, October 4, 2021

Dutchman's Puzzle - October Block Challenge Fabric Pull

Welcome to October and a new block re-imagination challenge!  The Dutchman's Puzzle is one of my favorite blocks.  I love flying geese units so it makes sense that a block with flying geese units is on my favorites list.  I love the versatility of the block, the way you can change the size really easily and the way there are a gazillion different color placement options!  Okay, maybe a gazillion is a stretch :)  

In case you aren't familiar with the Dutchman's Puzzle, here is what the block looks like.  



This week, I'm sharing my fabric pull for this block and what will hopefully be a new quilt pattern by the end of the month too!  

Since it is October and we are having what appears to be a late fall, I had to go with a fun fall mix of quilting cottons.  I think these brown, burgundy, beige, rust, green and orange tonals will be perfect for an autumn scrappy quilt.  

I'm going to be pulling from my stash (which is overflowing - yes, literally overflowing!) but if you need to boost your stash, be sure to check my Etsy shop for some great deals on 6, 12 or 20 fat quarter bundles.  

If you have been following along, a group of quilt pattern designers are challenging each other to re-imagine and re-interpret a traditional quilt block.  Here are links if you want to take a look at the quilts I made during the Snowball Block Challenge, the Rail Fence Block Challenge, the Pinwheel Block Challenge, the Log Cabin Block Challenge, the Churn Dash Block Challenge, the Five Patch Chain Block Challenge, the Ocean Waves Block Challenge and the Strip Star Block Challenge.  I have free patterns available for the quilts I made in the Rail Fence block challenge and Log Cabin block challenge.  Links are in the respective blog posts.  

Each Monday in October, the participating designers are sharing about the challenge on their Instagram feeds.  Some of us are adding other social media too.   If you don't already follow me on Instagram, I'm @masterpiecequilting 

Here is the list of Instagram handles of the participating designers.  Each of us are sharing our fabric pull and / or color scheme on Monday October 4th.  

@tamarinis

@katecollerandesigns

@southwind_quilts

@jenstrauser 

@masterpiecequilting 

@patchworkbreeze

@megschoicepatterns

@sue_duckcreekquilting

@crafttowardsjoy

An easy way to find the posts is using the following hashtags.  Just type them into the search box and the posts will show up. 

Hashtags:

#dutchmanspuzzleblockchallenge

#dutchmanspuzzlequiltblock

#morethanjustablockchallenge

#designerblockchallenge

#Octoberblockchallenge

#Octoberdesignerblockchallenge

#quilt

#quilts

#quiltdesigner

#quiltblock

#quiltblocks


I can't wait to see what everyone is selecting for their fabrics and I hope that you will take a look too! Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge.


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment