Thursday, July 15, 2021

Little Red Barn Quilt in Autumn 2021 issue of Quilter's World Magazine

I'm excited to share my Little Red Barn quilt which is published in the Autumn 2021 issue of Quilter's World magazine.  When I read the submission call and it included "buildings" I immediately thought a barn is a building!  Why not design a barn? 

If you aren't a subscriber to Quilter's World Magazine, be sure to pick up your copy of the magazine on a news stand or you can purchase using this direct link.

Little Red Barn is a combination of patchwork and paper-piecing and is perfect for using up scrap fabrics, especially when making the individual barn quilt blocks that decorate the front of each barn. I used stash fabrics when making the sample quilt as well as Lite Steam A Seam 2 fusible web with paper release and Soft & Bright batting from The Warm Company.  



I grew up on a farm where we raised livestock, so the barn was my happy place.  Some days I spent more time in the barn than the house when I was a kid, so it was only logical for me to pay homage to my favorite building with this quilt.  

The local AM radio station (which we had playing in the barn since it was the only station that would come in!) made popular the song "In a Little Red Barn on a Farm down in Indiana".  I thought that was the perfect title for this quilt.  

I designed the barns on the quilt in the style of Midwestern barns with a traditional white "X" on the barn doors.  While our barn didn't have a barn quilt on it, I couldn't resist adding them to the barns in the quilt. 

If you make your own version of Little Red Barn,  I'd love to see it!  Be sure to tag me #masterpiecequilting when you share on social media.  And be sure to tag #quiltersworldmagazine too. 




Pick up your copy of the Autumn 2021 issue of Quilter's World magazine here and get started today.  Be sure to check out all 17 amazing designs in the magazine.  There are several I can't wait to make.  

If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 


1 comment:

  1. Just got my magazine. It looks nice. My last issue though as I have too many old magazines!

    ReplyDelete