Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Old School Block of the Month - March 2021

 I'm excited to share my March block for the Old School Block of the Month. 

This month's featured designer is Jane Davidson of QuiltJane in Australia.  Here is the link to Jane's gorgeous block tutorial. 

I learned a lot making this block and mostly I learned that my fabric stash is pretty darn boring!  I've turned into a solids, tonals and small prints quilter!  Help - I think I need to go shopping :) 

Jane's beautiful block and tutorial are filled with fussy cutting, stripes and busy fabrics.  So I did a lot of searching (yes, it took me longer to find fabrics than it did to make the block!) and came up with these options.  A medium scale floral, a stripe, some big dots to fussy cut and a white tonal to fussy cut. 



A tip I've learned along the way that is super helpful is to use tape on the cutting grid to help define the area you want to fussy cut. 



I opted for a kaleidoscope layout in the center of my block with the 4 fussy cut florals.  I thought it gave it more movement as I tried to maximize the impact of my medium scale print. 

Here are my three blocks together.  



My March block doesn't quite have the same pizzazz as my first two so I may remake it or at least look for the busier busy print for the center section that will give it a bit more punch.   

If you are just finding this post and want to join the Old School Block of the Month, we would love to have you!   Here is a link to Kim Lapacek's January block and here is the link to my February block tutorial.  You can find the Facebook group here

If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 


1 comment:

  1. When I click link for March, this is the result:
    503 Service Unavailable
    No server is available to handle this request.
    Help!

    ReplyDelete