Monday, May 9, 2022

Arkansas Snowflake Block ReMIX Challenge - Sneak Peek #1

It's time for Sneak Peek #1 of my Arkansas Snowflake Block.   

As I thought about the possibilities for this block, I wanted to play up the snowflake aspect of it and give the center of the block more "umph"!   I know that is not a technical term but it just needed more pizzazz, it needed to be the focal point of the block. 

After adding the straight lines and more color to the center, the block just didn't seem balanced so I added a similiar triangle wedge to each corner.  I really like this aspect.  It extends the eye to the center of the block which was my goal from the beginning.  Don't ask how I'm piecing those triangle wedges, I honestly don't have that part figured out yet!  I'm just playing with design ideas :)   




So this is where the fun begins! As I'm designing, I always like to layout the block into a quilt-like arrangement just to see what secondary patterns emerge.  Sometimes the secondary patterns will then drive the direction the block design is going.  I'm liking it!  How about you?  What do you think? 




And yes, even though it is May, I'm already starting to think fall ... because it will probably take me all summer to get some fall quilts made ... so I grabbed a bundle of fall / autumn fat quarters for this month's fabric pull.  

If your fall fabric stash is looking a bit low, I can help you out.  I have several fat quarter bundles available in my Etsy shop.   

12 Fat Quarter Bundle of Fall / Autumn Fabrics



I truly love the opportunity to play and experiment with different blocks as part of the REMIX challenge.  The fun begins as I start to re-work this block.  Be sure to stay tuned for Sneak Peek #2 next week. 

Each Monday, the participating designers are sharing about the challenge on their Instagram feeds.  Some of us are adding other social media too.   If you don't already follow me on Instagram, I'm @masterpiecequilting 

Here is the list of Instagram handles of the participating designers.  Each of us are sharing the first peeks at our designs this week.   

@tamarinis

@katecollerandesigns

@dragonflysquiltingdesignstudio

@patchworkbreeze

@jennykaequilts

@debbiewendtquilting

@evapaigequilts

@masterpiecequilting

@quiltblox.com


An easy way to find the posts is using the following hashtags.  Just type them into the search box and the posts will show up. 

Hashtags:

#ArkansasSnowflakeblockchallenge

#ArkansasSnowflakequiltblock

#morethanjustablockchallenge

#designerblockchallenge

#Mayblockchallenge

#Maydesignerblockchallenge

#quilt

#quilts

#quiltdesigner

#quiltblock

#quiltblocks


I can't wait to see how everyone is re-mixing this block and I hope you will take a look too! Be sure to follow each of the designers so you don't miss their posts during this fun challenge.


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment