Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Spring Cleaning & Getting Ready for Summer Sewing

Yep - Spring fever has hit me!


I spent some time over the weekend cleaning in my studio, windows open, music blarring and that sure felt good!  

I have a bad habit of stacking the leftover fabric when I finish a project and when the stack falls over, I plop it into a tote and then keep adding more fabric until the tote is full.  What I end up with a multi-season, multi-color mess of stash fabric that is hard to sort through without dumping the whole tote.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this.  

So before the stack fell over (it was close ... really, really close!), I decided to sort the fabric by size and by color.  Anything larger than a 1/2 yard goes in a seperate tote and the smaller pieces are sorted by color and fabric type.  

This summer I'm making a scrappy quilt using precut 2-1/2" strips.  So I took it a step further and cut the leftover fabric that fits that quilts colorway into 2-1/2" strips.  It didn't take me long to cut the fabric and the task of putting away the fabric that didn't fit the colorway was a lot easier too.  

Now I have a head start on making this quilt.  As it gets warmer, I know I will be spending more time outside working in the yard and my sewing time will be less.  It's nice to have a project precut so I can easily spend my time sewing without having to stop, dig through my stash, press and cut fabric.  

If you are looking for quilts that would be great for summer sewing take a look at these three options.  All are quick and easy to make and can be as planned or scrappy as you want them to be! 


Peacock Proud is designed for precut 2-1/2" strips.  Grab a bundle or cut from your stash for a quick and easy project. 

PDF Pattern:

Print Pattern: 


Sunburst Strips & Squares looks amazing in any colorway!  This best-selling pattern will become one of your favorites too. 

PDF Pattern: 

Print Pattern: 


For the ultimate stash-buster, Stepping Out is full of color and super easy to make, even for a beginner.  What a great way to share your love of quilting with someone else this summer. 

PDF Pattern: 


If you would like to see more of my patterns, tips and techniques delivered weekly to your inbox, be sure to sign up for my weekly Masterpiece Quilting Studio News email.  It's free of charge and I promise your email is safe with me. 

1 comment:

  1. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Sewing and Quilting Fabric

    ReplyDelete