Thursday, October 15, 2020

Halloween Gift Giving in Style! Mug Rug Free Tutorial + Pattern

If you are like me, life is getting a bit weary right now.  While so many things have changed this year beyond our control, I'm viewing this as an opportunity to make our own changes and start some new traditions!  Who says Halloween has to be for kids and candy?  Why not take some time and gift a few simple gifts to your adult friends for Halloween?  Whether it be co-workers, old college friends or folks in your neighborhood, a simple gesture can mean so much.  


I'm using my Super Simple 9-Patch Mug Rug pattern that is available for FREE at this link to make some adorable mug rugs. 

Since this is a stash based project, I grabbed black and orange tonals that play well together for the 9-patch and binding and a coordinating tonal for the backing. 




The first step is to make the 9-Patch block.  



Next I layered the backing, batting and the top.  
Please note:  if you are planning on using this mug rug with really hot coffee mugs or soup bowls, make sure you use a heat-reflective batting to prevent any damage to your furniture. 



I did some really simple 1/4" quilting to hold everything together. 




The next step is to add the binding and viola!  It's finished! And now, I'm ready to celebrate Halloween in style!   For gifting, you can pair it with a matching mug, some hot chocolate mix or the beverage of your choice ;) 





No comments:

Post a Comment