Monday, December 25, 2017

Island Batik Challenge - Table Scraps Topper

The December 2017 Challenge for Island Batik Ambassadors is a Scrappy Table Topper - the perfect project for this time of year.  I find I'm changing out my table more frequently so it doesn't always look the same when guests arrive. 




Throughout the year I saved scraps from each of my projects and I had quite the box full!  In the process of making this challenge, I also crossed a quilt off my bucket list.  I have always wanted to make a New York Beauty quilt and now I can say that I have.  In the past I hadn't been a big fan of paper piecing, but I'm starting to really get into.  This is the third table topper I have paper pieced recently and I'm so happy with all three of them. 



My original intent was to make a traditional Christmas themed topper, but I didn't think I had enough reds, greens and golds.  But I had plenty of Springy fabrics which worked out better in the long run. 



Also I quilted this table topper on my domestic sewing machine - which may sound somewhat odd.  I have a computerized longarm that I do all my quilting on, so I'm a complete BEGINNER at quilting on a sewing machine but I am doing better.  Practice is good!  I used Warm 80/20 from The Warm Company for the batting and since it is a low-loft batting it worked great. 

And the best part - I already have a Spring table topper ready for when the Winter décor gets put away!  

1 comment: