Saturday, December 1, 2018

2018 Monthly Color Challenge: December is Black & White

Wow !  It doesn't seem like the year should be over already.  I've had a great time creating with color this year as part of Jen's 2018 Monthly Color Challenge.  I hope you have been making the blocks along with us and seeing how much color you can put in your world!  It's been eye-opening for me to see which colors I use a lot and which ones I don't use often. 

This month we are working with black and white.  I know it sounds weird, since I love antiques and a vintage farmhouse style, but I am a huge fan of modern black and white quilts.  I think it's all the white negative space that excites me!  After all, that gives more room for quilting!


If you are finding this blog post for the first time and aren't sure what we are talking about .... To get all the scoop, be sure to check out Jen's post.



The block instructions call for three fabrics and I used a light (white), a medium (gray) and a dark (black) of Moda Grunge fabric from Basic Grey to make this month's block.   I am a huge fan of Grunge and use it a lot as a tonal. 



I'm using Jen's pattern (available on her blog - see link below) and made both the 12" and 6" block this month.  

Now that I have all the blocks finished, I had to take a group photo of them before I started assembling them into the final quilts. Here are all the 12" blocks.  Don't they look so beautiful!




And here are all the 6" blocks... And yes, I'm missing one!  The blue-green block from November was hiding out in the bottom of the box I used to store them. It must be shy :) 




I can't wait to see what your block looks like.  On Jen's blog you have an opportunity to share your black & white block or anything made with black and white from December 21 to 31 to be eligible for prizes.  

And speaking of prizes, the sponsor for this month is the Fat Quarter Shop who is giving away a fat quarter bundle of Bella Solids
.  I love these colors, don't you?  



Also be sure to visit the other bloggers who are participating this month.  It's so much fun to see what fabrics everyone has selected and how different the same block looks with different fabric choices!



Jen Shaffer of Patterns By Jen
Jen Strauser of Dizzy Quilter
Sherry Shish of Powered By Quilting
Dione Gardner-Stephen of Clever Chameleon Quilting

My game plan is to have the completed quilts finished and a blog post up in mid-January 2019, so stay tuned to see how these gorgeous blocks come together to make a quilt. 

And if you are playing along with us, make sure to use #2018monthlycolorchallenge on social media! And speaking of social media, be sure to follow me on IG: @Masterpiecequilting and Masterpiece Quilting on FB for sneak peeks and updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment