Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sedona Star - What have I gotten myself into ??


One of my resolutions for 2012 is to take my piecing to new levels...  ya know, as Emeril would say "kick it up a notch or two".

I want to try more paper piecing, I want to sew more curves, work with more angles, basically add more funky stuff into my piecing.   And I found the perfect quilt to expand my piecing horizons.

The "Sedona Star" by Sarah Vedeler - the 2012 Block of the Month on the thequiltshow.com 


263_bom_15_00_s_m.jpg




It was love at first sight - Wow - what a quilt.  Bright colors, paper piecing, curves, everything I was looking for !!!

So "Merry Christmas" to me - I signed up and downloaded the first month's patterns.  I went through my stash and pulled out some fabrics and then did some shopping to fill in the few fabrics I was missing. 

And I started in .....  I was reading the instructions word for word, I printed my paper templates and started paper piecing.  Now, you must realize, I have NOT been a huge paper piecing fan in the past.... ever since the day I managed to sew fabric to both sides of the paper and the poor instructor just looked at me and shook her head and muttered something about maybe I should stick to just quilting.... 

But this is different.... I'm LIKING it !!! 

So I set up the laptop next to the sewing machine and I followed the instructions and I sewed and I sewed.




and in the end I was pretty darned impressed !! 



 

The center section of my Sedona Star is complete.  Just 11 more months to go.  Stay tuned for updates - February includes 9 applique blocks ...  I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great! You've come along way since I saw the center...keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila ! I started on the February blocks and they are going to be really cool.

      Delete